Date: 13th September 2017 at 4:36pm
Written by:

Solihull Moors slipped to a seventh defeat in ten matches at Woking on Tuesday night.

It was a familiar tale for Liam McDonald who saw his side go behind to a Jason Banton goal before Darren Carter restored parity from the penalty spot. Despite a very strong second half performance, The Cards stole victory late on through Charlie Carter’s goal.

McDonald was already on the backfoot before the game with his ‘unavailable’ list including Calum Flanagan, Ashley Sammons, Chris Lait, Luke Benbow, Simeon Maye, George Carline and Zain Westbrooke.

Nathan Vaughan and Ben Fox were both unwell before the game, the former dropped to the bench for Connal Trueman to make his first start since the 3-3 draw with Barrow. Fox started but was forced off before half-time, Kalern Thomas returning despite losing his place to Paul Green.

Meanwhile, Woking were flying having won three of their first four home matches and included Nathan Baxter and Regan Charles-Cook in their starting XI. Oh the envy.

Inih Effiong took just two minutes to showcase his talents, his strength enabling him space to shoot against the post. Liam Daly’s header was cleared before Charles-Cook, Chez Isaac and Joe Ward all forced Trueman into early action, the on-loan Birmingham City youngster standing firm.

The Moors’ first big break came on the counter-attack when Darren Carter found Oladapo Afolayan but the forward fired over. Effiong followed suit at the other end after a one-two with Charles-Cook.

On the half hour mark Woking took the lead through Jason Banton. The winger played a one-two with Effiong and was able to strike the ball home into the bottom corner.

Charles-Cook forced Trueman into another save before half-time but the flow of the game would change in the second half. It was Afolayan, typically, that was involved in the turnaround, his shot blocked for a corner after good work from Tahvon Campbell. Daly couldn’t find a way past Baxter from the resulting set-piece.

Despite a lack of major chances, the Moors were very much in the ascendancy, getting the ball forward quickly at every opportunity and just failing to deliver the final ball or get hold of loose possession. Then came our moment.

Joel Kettle was alive to a loose ball in the box only to be abruptly barged out of the way by a home defender. The referee adjudged the challenge worthy of a penalty kick. Darren Carter took responsibility and unlike Saturday was able to put the ball into the back of the net from 12 yards and give Moors a real chance.

As Moors broke forward, space was appearing at the back and the hosts made us pay. Talented winger Joe Ward found Louis Ramsey down the right-hand side and the full-back crossed low for Charlie Carter to score from close range. Gutting.

Remaining in the ascendancy, it was Afolayan who had the final two efforts. Joel Kettle found him on 90 minutes but the strike was just wide before the forward drilled the ball across goal only for Baxter to impressively parry the ball to safety.

McDonald was upbeat after the game, all things considered. He admitted that for the first time this season he felt ‘sorry’ for his players who had worked tremendously hard to turn the game in their favour.

He also admitted that when on top, we have to put the ball in the net before acknowledging the lengthening injury list as part of the cause. He said that one body could be brought in before the weekend but none of his injured troops are set to return.

A win over mid-table Bromley on Saturday would provide an enormous boost.

Starting XI: Trueman; K. Green, Daly, Kettle, Liburd; P.Green (Kelleher), Carter; Murombedzi, Fox (Thomas), Campbell (Dunkley); Afolayan


Your Comment