Match Reports

Late Drama as Moors Beat Barrow

Image for Late Drama as Moors Beat Barrow

Two late goals and a Barrow penalty miss were enough to help Solihull Moors secure three points at Holker Street.  

The game remained goalless until the final ten minutes despite Barrow hitting the post twice and later the bar. Luke Maxwell eventually opened the scoring and Adi Yussuf followed it up with his fourth of the season.  

Tyler Smith reduced the deficit in the final minute of normal time and The Moors, in particular Jamie Reckord, were left thanking their lucky stars as John Rooney blazed over an injury time penalty. 

Tim Flowers admitted that his side were fortunate to come away with the three points, referring to his side looking leggy. It was perhaps understandable with Flowers deciding to stick to the same starting XI and bench that secured a huge Bank Holiday Monday victory over league leaders Wrexham.  

In a lively opening, it was two of the games quickest players that were getting the openings but neither Tyler Smith or Jermaine Hylton could quite find the final strike. When Moors did get a real effort at goal, Adi Yussuf’s downward header bounced off the surface and over the bar.  

Barrow undoubtedly had the best moment of the first half as they managed to hit the woodwork twice in a matter of seconds. John Rooney was the first to be denied when his free-kick bounced off the outside of the post and Tyler Smith was left ruing his luck when finding the same spot from a tight angle.  

Moors came back into the game with Darren Carter taking control in the area and forcing Firth to acrobatically tip his looping effort over the bar. The half ended with John Rooney and Luke Burgess both seeing efforts deflected to the benefit of The Moors backline.  

The second half started in lively fashion, Danny Wright’s wayward header coming in and between efforts from Jack Hindle and Jason Taylor.  

Jack Hindle then drove inside from the right before smashing the ball against the top of the bar and The Moors didn’t heed the warning when Luke Burgess slalomed past Storer, Gudger and Daly before finding Josh Kay whose effort stung the palms of Ryan Boot.  

The chances started to wane as the game entered its final quarter, Yussuf failing to find the target when attempting to lob Firth before Luke Maxwell, who replaced Darren Carter, saw his shot blocked.  

It took 84 minutes for the back of either net to bulge and thankfully it was Barrow’s net that was left shaking thanks to the left-boot of Maxwell. Jamie Reckord’s cross was swung into the danger zone where Firth’s punch deflected off his own team-mate into the path of the Birmingham City loanee. 

Five minutes later and Reckord was on hand for assist number two. The left-back was first to a loose pass and played a sharp one-two with Jermaine Hylton. Reckord composed himself before pulling the ball back to towards the penalty spot where Adi Yussuf prodded the ball home.  

A minute after the second, Moors switched off and gave Barrow a way back into the game. Jack Hindle’s forward pass was incisive and Tyler Smith’s touch and turn was tremendous prior to an emphatic finish.  

Then in the third minute of injury time, Luke Burgess again drove inside from the right where he was clipped by Reckord. John Rooney stepped up but fired way over the bar from 12 yards. Barrow slumped and Flowers’ side held on.  

Not for the first time this season, Solihull Moors escaped an away day with three points despite a below-par display. It’s that grit and determination that will serve us well in the long run.  


Starting XI: Boot; Williams, Daly, Gudger, Reckord; Osborne (Murphy), Storer, Carter (Maxwell); Hylton, Wright (Carline), Yussuf. Unused: O’Keeffe, Sweeney. 

Share this article

Co-Editor - Vital Solihull Moors

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *