Date: 21st February 2018 at 7:06pm
Written by:

Solihull Moors extended their unbeaten run at home to seven matches after a goalless draw with Wrexham.

Despite remaining in the relegation places, Mark Yates’ side are one of the form teams in the division and proved why, earning a hard-fought point against a Wrexham side that have spent much of the season camped in the top seven.

Yates chose to stick with the same starting XI that earned victory against Dover Athletic meaning Tyrone Williams made his second start for the club while match-winner Alex Reid would have to bide his time on the bench.

The game started in a fashion that would continue throughout. Neither side wanted to give the other an inch, both going direct to turn the opposition defence and get runners from midfield involved.

It took 12 minutes for a notable effort at goal to be struck, Sam Wedgbury half-volleying over from 30 yards. At the other end, Adi Yussuf showed strength and agility to turn his man and fire wide before Tyrone Williams’ cross was headed over the bar at the back post by Jamie Reckord.

In a tenacious encounter, there were plenty of flashpoints as both sides looked to stamp their authority and prove they would not be bullied. Kyle Storer was the man most involved for the Moors, screaming in the face of Sam Wedgbury after the middle went down and rolled along the ground. When a free-kick was given, Nicky Deverdics couldn’t find the right delivery.

Hylton was typically a threat in behind and he found Yussuf on the edge of the box only for the striker’s effort to be blocked. Liam Daly headed back across goal but found nobody waiting for a tap-in while Kwame Thomas couldn’t quite stretch enough to nod home Reckord’s left-wing cross.

That was mostly it until half-time, both sides struggling to create chances until added time when Max O’Leary’s remarkable throw found Hylton on the left. He sent the ball out to the right where it ended up at Osborne’s feet, the fleet-footed midfielder unable hit the target with a rasping effort.

The second half was largely a drab affair with Wrexham seemingly content to take the point as Yates’ men took the initiative but found an impressive rearguard in their way more often than not.

Adi Yussuf was the man who came closest for The Moors, latching onto Hylton’s through ball but firing against the inside of the post. Yussuf was replaced by Alex Reid but when a chance fell to the new man, he couldn’t add power to his header when found by Hylton’s dinked cross.

Substitutions were made by both sides but the quality of the game never changed. It became bittier, the referee started to let less challenges go and though Yates was sending more bodies forward, Wrexham were holding firm in impressive fashion – it’s easy to see why nobody has conceded less goals than them this season.

The game finished as a bore draw but one that our boys can certainly take positives from. Max O’Leary cut a commanding figure in goal despite being one of the shorter keepers in the division while Liam Daly, Fiacre Kelleher and Kyle Storer did well to ensure the Wrexham front pairing of Chris Holroyd and Scott Quigley offered little.

An awkward, hard-fought point against one of the strongest sides in the division on a cold Tuesday night. Up the Moors!

Starting XI: O’Leary; Williams, Daly, Kelleher, Reckord; Osborne, Storer, Carter; Thomas, Hylton (Edwards), Yussuf (Reid). Unused: K.Green, P.Green, Carline.


Your Comment