Date: 3rd September 2017 at 9:52am
Written by:

Shamir Fenelon’s ninth minute goal was enough to see Solihull Moors lose away at Aldershot Town.

The Moors, still missing Simeon Maye amongst others came up against an Aldershot Town similar depleted with Nick Arnold, Bernard Mensah, Will Evans and Emanuele Oyeleke all missing out.

While the Shots were left drafting in George Fowler and Adam McDonnell from Ipswich Town to plug the gaps for a month, Liam McDonald was busy making five changes to the side that lost at home to Tranmere Rovers on Monday.

Oladapo Afolayan and Tahvon Campbell returned to the starting XI while Daniel Cleary and Kalern Thomas made second starts of the season. Liam Daly was the other change with Tom Tonks, Joel Kettle and Tristan Dunkley dropping to the bench, Jordan Liburd and Jack Edwards out of the sixteen.

After a bright start from both sides, the hosts took the lead. Chris Arthur found Jim Kellerman who found space to shoot from 20 yards out for Vaughan to deny him. The resulting corner was played short between James Rowe and Bobby-Joe Taylor, the latter finding Fenelon at the back post to hook the ball into the roof of the net.

Tahvon Campbell has been a lively figure since joining the Moors on loan and he almost got the better of a battle between he and defender Fowler only for his shot to be blocked. Afolayan then found the Baggies loanee who couldn’t quite get his shot away under pressure.

Early bookings for Cleary and McClure failed to be enough warning for Kalern Thomas who clearly angered Aldershot players with a strong challenge, a melee resulting in he and Cheye Alexander receiving yellow cards. The half ended with James Rowe dropping a shoulder and firing wide while his low cross was deflected just wide by Daly.

Thomas was replaced at half-time by Paul Green with a red card looming for the tenacious full-back. Moors were fortunate not to be two goals behind when Cleary lost out to Rowe only for Bobby-Joe Taylor to fire over the bar. Darren Carter followed suit at the other end.

Carter was replaced by Brentford youngster Zain Westbrooke in the second half though not before Taylor fizzed an effort just over and McDonnell fired low and wide.

The final throw of the dice was Tristan Dunkley’s replacement of Daniel Cleary and our best chance came four minutes later, Kelleher’s long pass finding Afolayan in space but he couldn’t turn the ball home.

Despite a brave finish, it was Aldershot who were creating chances in the final 15, James Rowe and Bobby-Joe Taylor at the heart of most of them. Taylor had an effort well parried by Vaughan, the winger later curling an effort just past the post and then another wide. The hosts also had a goal disallowed with five minutes left to play.

Campbell had the final effort of the game, his shot being blocked as Moors chased an equaliser but it was not to be.

Daly was in good spirits following the final whistle, claiming there were positives to take from the game and that if he had not lost his man for the goal we could well have come away with a result. McDonald echoed those statements and said that the boys must keep their heads up with both happy with the improved defensive displays and knowing there is more to come from the boys up front.

Another post-match feature was the talk of Tuesday’s home fixture against Chester and how it represents a fantastic opportunity to earn three points. With plenty said by both clubs after the opening day postponement, it could prove an enticing game of football.

Starting XI: Vaughan; K. Green, Cleary (Dunkley), Kelleher, Daly, Thomas (P. Green); Murombedzi, Carter (Westbrooke), Carline; Afolayan, Campbell.


Your Comment