Date: 17th September 2017 at 11:22pm
Written by:

‘It sums up our season at the minute, in it, and then a lack of concentration costs us getting something out it. It happened against Halifax, happened against Aldershot, happened against Barrow, this game.’

It’s fair to say that Liam McDonald is as dumbfounded and frustrated as everybody else at Solihull Moors currently. Eleven games played, two wins, one draw and eight defeats.

This time it was Bromley and perhaps most concerning was that for the second time in a week we conceded the winner beyond the 80th minute mark. Missing seven players before kick-off, McDonald was forced to make more changes to his starting XI knowing the difficulties his side has playing twice a week at this level.

Four changes were made from midweek with full debuts to new loan signings Wes McDonald and Courtney Richards. Nathan Vaughan returned in goal after missing Tuesday’s defeat through illness while George Carline’s return was a major plus for a side missing seven players. Ben Fox, Tahvon Campbell and Paul Green all dropped to the bench.

It was The Ravens that got off to the better start, comfortable in possession yet Darren Carter’s free-kick was dangerous and Shepherd Murombedzi got a shot away from distance. The hosts responded in kind, Josh Rees forcing Nathan Vaughan into a comfortable save, Brett Williams heading over and Adam Mekki scuffing an effort wide.

Wes McDonald was voted Moors’ man of the match and his first major action of the game was to get down the left and cross low, the hosts eventually managing to clear. Williams blazed over for Bromley after good work from Mekki before Luke Wanadio struck an effort off the head of Frankie Sutherland, thankfully the ball dropped wide of the target.

There was more injury woe for Liam McDonald before half-time with George Carline stretchered off. Tahvon Campbell was his replacement but it was fellow loanee McDonald that had the final effort of the half, cutting inside and forcing Gregory to save. The clearance fell as far as Kristian Green whose 30-yard effort was not too far away.

The second half began with Wanadio’s cross finding Mekki at the back stick who managed to find the stands. Williams then found space but shot wide. McDonald tried his best to get Moors back on the front foot, his low cross deflecting against Gregory before taking advantage of lackadaisical defending to force another save from the Bromley keeper.

Jordan Cullinane-Liburd almost embarrassed himself when Luke Wanadio’s cross just evaded the head of Williams, the full-backs volley well-saved by an alert Nathan Vaughan. Vaughan was alert to deny a strike from distance while Frankie Raymond fired a free-kick over.

On 75 minutes Moors moved the ball from left to right, Murombedzi finding Green who fired wide. Two minutes later and Ben Fox, who had replaced Oladapo Afolayan, darted into the box and crossed low. Unfortunately for Moors, Gregory was able to palm the ball to safety with Murombedzi lurking at the back post alone awaiting a tap-in.

Then it happened. With three minutes to go Iffy Allen received possession in the Moors half and fed substitute George Porter. The winger raced in behind and fired home the winner. Gutted.

McDonald’s frustration was evident early in his post-match interview but he was happy to praise the players by acknowledging that we were always in this game. His big positive was that Moors do not face a two-game week for a couple of weeks allowing him time on the training pitch with his players. He also hopes a couple of players can return over the next couple of week, Simeon Maye and Jermaine Hylton amongst them. It may be best that McDonald also ends this report.

‘We’ve got to keep going and we’ll get that bit of luck at some point’.

Vaughan; K.Green, Daly, Kettle, Liburd (Dunkley); Richards, Carter; Murombedzi, Carline (Campbell), McDonald; Afolayan (Fox). Unused subs: Kelleher, P.Green.


Your Comment