Date: 4th October 2017 at 7:12pm
Written by:

Solihull Moors’ winless streak extended to six games after defeat at home to Ebbsfleet United on Tuesday night.

Moors fell behind to Myles Weston’s strike before Danny Kedwell made it two. Simeon Maye gave The Moors hope on 57 minutes before Danny Mills killed the game seven minutes before time.

With Shepherd Murombedzi suspended following his fifth booking of the season, Simeon Maye returned to the starting XI in a straight swap. Charlie Bannister made the bench for the first time since joining Solihull Moors from Kidderminster Harriers.

A flat display from the off, Danny Kedwell had the first chance inside two minutes, failing to connect cleanly with a right-wing cross. On four minutes Dean Rance glanced wide from a left-wing corner before Myles Weston forced Vaughan into a comfortable first save of the night.

Luke Coulson ought to have put the visitors ahead on 10 minutes when he won a straight sprint against Liam Daly before dinking the ball over James Vaughan. Thankfully, Joe Payne had raced back onto the goal line to clear.

The Moors first chance typically came via Oladapo Afolayan, his low cross aimlessly flicked on by Carter towards Maye who couldn’t hit the target. The Fleet responded quickly with Jack Powell and Kedwell both firing just over the bar from distance.

McDonald’s side fell behind on 27 minutes through Myles Weston. The winger received the ball on the edge of the box, beat two players and struck powerfully from the edge of the area into the net. Far too easy.

It was 2-0 four minutes later. Jack Connors played an incisive pass into the path of Weston that cut the whole Moors defence out. The forward quickly played the ball across the danger zone where Kedwell was stood alone for a tap-in.

The Moors were struggling to deal with the power and pace of Coulson who raced through again on 36 minutes, his effort flashing past the far post. Darren Carter almost started a potential comeback earlier but his side-footed effort bounced off where crossbar meets post.

Hopes of an improved second half display inevitably fell at the hands of our boy wonder in attack but even Afolayan couldn’t find the net, cutting inside from the left before thrashing the ball over the bar.

However, he did have a hand in the Solihull Moors goal when he was fouled 25 yards out. Carter took responsibility from the resulting free-kick and the ball fortuitously found its way into the net via Simeon Maye.

All of a sudden, Solihull Moors had turned up. Liam Daly found the feet of Richard Brodie who turned and got a shot away, the deflection causing Nathan Ashmore to watch nervously for a moment before the keeper denied Darren Carter.

Despite a bright few minutes, Ebbsfleet soon regained control with substitutes Anthony Cook and Danny Mills turning the tide. Cook found Kedwell who was through on goal until Joe Payne’s last-ditch challenge denied him while Jack Powell’s wicked left-wing delivery clipped the top of the goal net.

Mills eventually killed the game for Ebbsfleet and deservedly so. Moors had struggled to deal with his awkward frame and the challenges were not strong enough as he bustled through on goal, calmly slotting past Vaughan for his first Fleet goal.

Weston and Kedwell both came close to making it four but couldn’t find the target. Moors’ best chance of a response came through Afolayan who couldn’t understand why nobody was six yards from goal to drive home his low cross as Kedwell was for Ebbsfleet in the first half.

Full-time: Solihull Moors 1-3 Ebbsfleet United.

Vaughan; K.Green, Daly, Kettle, Payne; Maye (Campbell), Richards, Carter, Carline (McDonald); Brodie (Fox), Afolayan. Unused: Bannister; Liburd.


Your Comment