Match Reports

Town Down Moors

Image for Town Down Moors

Solihull Moors succumbed to a second defeat of the new campaign at Harrogate Town on Saturday.  

The hosts took the lead through Liam Kitching before Adi Yussuf’s sharp response. However, two second half goals from George Thomson and Callum Howe within three minutes of each other left Moors frustrated despite another bright performance. 

Flowers made one change from the 2-2 draw with Sutton United, Jermaine Hylton’s impact from the bench rewarded with a return to the starting XI in place of Luke Maxwell. Alex Gudger also returned to the squad following injury.  

It didn’t take long for the scoring to begin. After Danny Wright struck way over the bar from Darren Carter’s ball over the top, Leeds United loanee Liam Kitching opened his account for the season, prodding home on the line after Dominic Knowles flicked on a Joe Leesley corner at the near post.  

Moors responded quickly and when Jamie Reckord’s cross was toe-poked into the path of Adi Yussuf, the striker controlled and fired home for his third goal of the season.  

The game evened out from that point, the referee whistle-happy as neither side could find control of proceedings, Darren Carter’s free-kick the best opportunity on 16 minutes.  

It took the link-up between Reckord and Yussuf to open the game up again, the former crossing for the latter but Yussuf couldn’t keep his header down. A minute later, Josh Falkingham’s slip let Jamey Osborne drive towards goal but his shot was deflected wide. Hylton then intercepted a pass and laid the ball to Danny Wright who again saw his effort blocked.  

The hosts ended the half in the ascendancy, George Thomson’s free-kick hitting the wall before Falkingham forced Boot into a sharp stop. After the break, Kelvin Langmead almost made it 2-1 but his bullet header was stopped on the line by Kyle Storer.  

Moors needed something to change the flow of the game and Jermaine Hylton’s driving run looked to provide that but he couldn’t quite get the ball from under his feet to strike after beating three Harrogate defenders.  

Similar to the first-half, the number of efforts at goal dwindled for a period and it wasn’t until after the hour that either keeper was watching on nervously. Jamey Osborne fired wide after being found by Carter and Carter’s passing was again key when playing Danny Wright through on goal but James Belshaw was sharp off his line to deny the forward.  

Moors were impressing but on 75 minutes, Harrogate re-took the lead. Kyle Storer was dispossessed in midfield and Joe Leesley quickly found George Thomson who cut inside from the right and beat Ryan Boot at his near post.  

Harrogate were not about to let Flowers’ side do what they did to Sutton United and three minutes later made it 3-1, Leesley’s corner to the back post being headed home by Callum Howe.  

A plethora of substitutes were made as Moors tried to get back into the game but Alex Gudger’s return, the powerful Luke Maxwell nor the lively Dan Sweeney could make a difference, the last notable chance falling to Mark Beck who couldn’t find the back of the net.  

Flowers was unimpressed by his side’s inability to defend from set-pieces, something that has been a huge part of our success in 2018, but remains positive with his side earning 10 points from six matches and having secured seven points from our first three home fixtures.  

It’s top of the league Wrexham on Monday in front of a crowd that will likely be dominated by the visiting support. Here’s hoping we send them home with nothing to cheer.  

Share this article

Co-Editor - Vital Solihull Moors

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *