Date: 23rd November 2017 at 12:59pm
Written by:

Prior to kick-off, this was 2nd top vs 2nd bottom.

Following the game, settled thanks to a 40th minute Paul Rutherford winner, both sides were at complete opposite ends of the division.

As has been the case on numerous occasions this season, the result did not tell the full story of a game that saw Moors carve out chances but fail to make the most of them. Yates became the fourth manager to bemoan his side’s lack of clinical finishing and defensive errors.

The new gaffer made one change to the side that drew at Maidstone United on Saturday, Akwasi Asante returning to the starting XI in place of Oladapo Afolayan. Charlie Bannister returned to the bench in place of Ashley Sammons who departed for Redditch United on a dual-registration this week.

It took seven minutes for the home side, buoyed on by over 3800 supporters, to have their first opportunity, Alex Reid’s header glancing wide of the post. Moors responded moments later, Kwame Thomas poking the ball away from Shaun Pearson into the path of George Carline whose finish was weak.

That was pretty much that in a first half hour of bluster but short on chances. The value of having men on the post was evidenced on the half hour mark when Akil Wright’s bullet header hit the chest of James Bowen. Mark Carrington then tested Nick Townsend who was equal to the effort.

The only goal of the game came on 40 minutes. A chip into the area saw Chris Holroyd and Fiacre Kelleher put too much pressure on Nick Townsend as he claimed the ball. The ball slipped out of his grasp and Paul Rutherford was on hand to the dink the ball into the empty net. Townsend was unafraid to let the referee know his feelings on the matter.

This was a game that neither side truly dominated. Akwasi Asante came close before half-time but never really committed to his header as Chris Dunn came flying out of his goal. After the interval, Kelleher did well to deny Alex Reid before the Irish centre-half broke forward to strike from 25 yards.

Moors’ best two chances came within a couple of moments of each other. Firstly, George Carline played a 1-2 with Darren Carter and shot was deflected just wide of the far post. Carter and Liam Daly then played loose balls forward, Kwame Thomas somehow completely missing the ball having raced in behind the Wrexham defence.

The chances came few and far between once more as Wrexham held firm in the manner that has seen them rise to the top of the division despite scoring less goals than games played. Marcus Kelly ought to have wrapped things up after retrieving Nick Townsend’s headed clearance, beating one player but shooting at Kristian Green.

Kwame Thomas’ injury was the last highlight with him replaced after a three-minute delay to proceedings. The hope is that he can recover quickly from that one.

Another game, another set of positives but another disappointing result. We move onto Saturday.

Starting XI: Townsend; K.Green, Daly, Kelleher, Bowen; Murombedzi (Hylton), Richards, Carter, Carline (Afolayan); Thomas (Kettle), Asante. Subs unused: Bannister; P.Green


Your Comment