Date: 18th October 2017 at 6:16pm
Written by:

Solihull Moors made it through to the FA Cup First Round proper after defeating eighth tier Ossett Town at the second attempt.

The cup replay, taking place in West Yorkshire following a 1-1 draw on Saturday, started to go The Moors’ way on 8 minutes when Joel Kettle put the visitors into the lead before Darren Carter’s penalty made it two.

Captain Alex Peterson headed home late on to set up a potentially nervy finish but Richard Money’s men held to earn a tie against League Two opposition for the second season in succession.

The new gaffer made three changes from Saturday with Nathan Vaughan, Jordan Liburd and Joel Kettle restored to the starting XI in place of Charlie Bannister, Kristian Green and George Carline. The changes meant that Liam Daly started in attack rather than his defensive role.

Daly had the first effort of the game six minutes in and The Moors led just two minutes later. Darren Carter’s corner was curled into the back post where Joel Kettle was on hand to bundle the ball home.

Kai Hancock had the first effort for the hosts but pulled his shot wide when through on goal in an otherwise tame first half. The next chance of note came on the half hour mark when Chris Camwell drove down the left but Leigh Overton was equal to his effort.

The game livened up on the stroke of half-time with Shepherd Murombedzi crossing for Jermaine Hylton whose shot was blocked before Oladapo Afolayan ran at his opposite number and was bundled over in the area. Captain Carter stepped up and the final result was never really in doubt.

Murombedzi had the first effort of the second half, forcing a shot wide from the edge of the area. George Carline made an impression after replacing Hylton, being booked for simulation before playing Carter through, the Moors number 4 unable to hit the target.

Afolayan remained a threat and his good work down the left almost forced Alex Low to turn the ball into his own net. On 68 minutes, another Carter delivery caused panic in the home defence as Liam Daly’s volley smashed team-mate Fiacre Kelleher and dropped wide.

Ossett pulled a goal when Daly gave away a free-kick on the edge of his box. The delivery from Martin Pembleton was sent back into the danger area by Corey Gregory where Peterson was on hand for a simple headed finish.

The final few minutes saw Infield rocking but Moors did what they had to do, holding up possession in the corners and giving the defence a breather where possible as the pressure was piled on. Murombedzi almost killed the game off after a one-two with substitute Tahvon Campbell but Overton was equal to the effort.

Ossett Town put in a valiant effort at attempting to see off The Moors and deserve credit for their performance over the two fixtures. Many of their fans, and their official Twitter account, all believe they had done enough to earn victory but The Moors held firm, something that will have delighted Richard Money.

It’s Wycombe Wanderers in the next round at home, a contest that will excite many with Adebayo Akinfenwa’s names on the lips of supporters. Personally I love the throwback nature of Gareth Ainsworth and we will unquestionably be challenging ourselves against a side that give their all week in, week out.

However, the league takes centre stage with three fixtures in seven days coming up. And with a trip to Paul Cox’s Guiseley on Saturday on the horizon, the players need to put the cup to one side for now.


Your Comment